Re: [vox] Own business?

On Thu, 29 November 2001, Christine Scobee wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Matthew Johnson wrote:
>
> > Just wondering about going on my own, anyone got any ideas on the best way? I
> > hate to run my own, prefer not to, but...
> >
> The drawbacks of an unwieldy and/or hastily-considered office/admin
> system are often under-considered -- my advice is to think about how
> you'll handle paperwork, phonecalls, "corporate identity", and the like
> *early* in the process, so you don't experience unneccessary corporate
> "growing pains".  Find a business bank that's easy to deal with, and keep
> close tabs on your overhead, with an eye for minimizing time and money
> spent on "support" functions.  Any other businesses that you'll be running
> work through on a regular basis (shipping companies, printing companies,
> business mailbox places, whatever...) make sure you choose carefully, and
> establish a good rapport with as early as possible.
>
> Hehehe... maybe *I* should write a book :)  Look, I already have Chapter
> 1!
>
> Christine

Doh!  The office administration/paperwork.  I had completely forgotten how much a problem that was for my dad and myself.  Depending on your business, once you get started, you may find great difficulty in maintaining communications, appointments, paperwork and billing with clients without an admin/assistent of some sort.  AND you do not ever want to have problems communicating with clients.

If you are consulting and only handle one or two projects at a time, no problem, but when you get multiple projects, it is hard to track them well, paticularly if your job involves driving to sites.  You lose all that time and you really can't take notes well while driving.

-sp