January 6: Social gathering

Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

what zach is referring to, for those who haven't read this on tom's hardware,
is the "pin heighten adjustment" that people are using these days.

the theory goes like this:

IC chips need only a very small amount of current to work.  any current more
than required is simply wasted as thermal energy.

now heat conduction is proportional to the area of the surface in contact,
the surface area of an IC pin is 2 \pi r h, where h is the depth of the pin.

since only a very small amount of current is needed to keep the CPU active, a
common technique to keep wasted current from flowing is to clip off about 1
millimeter from each pin on your pentium or athlon chip.

this was dubbed, on tomshardware.com, as "shaving".

you need a *very* steady hand.  i would recommend practising on a socket PII
or something before attempting it on an expensive chip.

peter

begin: Zach Johnson <zjohnson@math.ucdavis.edu> quote