Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

begin: John C. Alden <jcalden@ucdavis.edu> quote
> At 12:05 AM 10/26/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >begin: Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org> quote
> >> On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> >it all goes into the equation of running a well-oiled system.
> >
> >pete
>
> You're supposed to OIL these things? Sheesh, no one told me!

well, not all machines.  you're only supposed to oil the really hot CPU's.
there's a couple of benefits:

1. because of the heat generated by cpu's, the cpu pins have a tendancy to
   oxidize against the walls of the pin inserts.  oiling the pins will help
   prevent cpu's from getting stuck.  particular socket type cpu's.

2. oil helps transfer the heat away from the CPU.  this also helps the cpu
   run faster.

3. a light coating of oil also protects the CPU from dust and crud which gets
   trapped inside the case.

for these reasons, it's highly recommended to apply a light coating of oil on
your cpu.  there are special oils made for the CPU.  if you have an AMD chip,
ONLY USE AMD APPROVED CPU OIL!!!

the thing is, any light-weight cpu oil would work just as fine.  i personally
use normal cooking vegetable oil.  my guess is that something peanut oil
would probably be too heavy for this particular application.

pete

ps- oil also helps in the hot-swapping of IDE devices.

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002