Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

Re: WD HDs (was Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap...)

begin: Mark K. Kim <markslist@cbreak.org> quote
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Don Werve wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 09:54:34AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > > For one simple reason, it's a good idea to keep the kernel you have: Don't
> > > mess with the kernel that works!  Honestly, I've never noticed performance
> >
> > Are you sure you wouldn't rather have an iMac? *grin*
>
> Yes, I'm sure.  I *like* having a floppy drive, thank you very much!

heh.  fwiw, i've definitely see a difference.   but to start with, my AGP
port isn't recognized by any kernel less than 2.4.10, so I need to recompile
anyhow.  plus, i don't think 3dnow extensions get used unless you specify
that your machine is an athlon under "general setup".

on top of that, i like having certain things built into my kernel.  just in
case the worst happens and /lib/modules gets blown away, or if for some
reason, kmod dies, i'd like to be able to boot using my own kernel if
possible to fix the problem.

for instance, if "shale happens"[1] it would be nice to have the scsi system
built directly into the kernel so i have a cdrom and my jaz drive backups
at my disposal.  that way, i can use them and not have to pray that
everything goes well with a rescue disk that someone else created.

this is simply experience talking.  i have been in the situation where i
wished a certain module was built directly into the kernel.   and kernel
modversioning under linux is in such a sorry state of affairs that insmod -f
hardly ever works anymore.  :(

my policy is:

1. trim whatever i don't use  (speed and size of kernel)
2. build vital stuff monolithically  (helps the worst case scenario)
3. make icing on the cake as dynamic modules  (speed and size of kernel)

pete

[1] kudos to anyone who can guess the reference

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002