Re: [vox] Hard Drives are cheap..

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 Patrick B. Lickiss wrote:

> The scam is very simple...Western Digital makes some of the least
reliable
> drives I've ever used.  I, for one, would much rather pay the extra
money
> and get something that's not going to make a rather unpleasant
clunking
> noise when I turn the computer on after having used the drive for
3 months.
> I've actually lost three WD drives to this same problem, all different
sizes
> and different models.  Not only to their drives suck, but their
customer
> service is laughable.  In short, I think people are figuring this out
> finally and that's why WD has such huge rebates, to try and drum
up new
> business.

I've got 4 WD drives right now (20gb and three 10gb). I've had them
for years with no problems, although one of the 10gb had to be retired
a while back after being shipped so poorly the casing was damaged
(let's just say one should chose their co-locs wisely as this one
didn't ship the machine back in the same condition I sent it to them).
Just a question, did you purchase all the drives from the same store?
Perhaps it is a problem with how merchandise is handled by the store
rather than a problem with the drive manufacturing process. Hard
drives can be quite messed up if treated roughly, for example, getting
dropped or thrown around excessively. The damage also isn't always
immediately apparent. That damaged 10gb drive still booted up when
I got the machine, but I'm sure it would have failed within a short
period of time had I left it running.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com        telnet://mud.malevolence.com:3000