Re: [vox] Students, cheating, mailing list, rules etc.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> this puts the onus of remaining "legal" on the student.  i don't think we've
> ever had a problem with this.  and it the only thing we can do, other than
> banning all help with classes, but i don't like that option.

I think that we are not responsible for what other people do with our
information.  I also believe the University would agree if we ever became
embroiled with them in a cheating issue.

> some people have gotten all pissed off at me for reminding posters of
> homework questions that they need to remain within their prof's guidelines.
> but that's ok; i'm used to people getting pissed off at me.

Honestly, I think it's nice of you to be so thoughtful of their academic
well being.

> this is an important question; we should probably solidify a policy and make
> it available on the lugod website....

Yah, I think you're right.

Personally, I think it's the student's responsibility not to cheat,
whether on purpose or out of ignorance, and their responsibility to deal
with the repercussions of cheating.

I suspect that if it's an obvious plea to do someone's homework for them
(as with Bill's tic tac toe code requests) then no one here will be
terribly inclined to be helpful.  If it's sly enough to not trigger
anyone's "You're trying to free-load off of me" sensors, then how can we
be found at fault for simply answering a question?

-Melissa