Re: [vox] wolfenstein linux server

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> whoa there, hass.
>
> it's a free alpha release of a commercial game that won't be made available
> to the unwashed masses for awhile.
>
> it comes without warrantee, without packaging, without a CD, and of course,
> without documentation.
>
> my guess is that when the game gets officially released, it'll come with some
> documentation.

true, true true. But, they could have a least put in a list of commands for
the server.

I mean, this had 0 documentation.

It's amazing anyone can get this to work :)

> just for my own self edifimucation, what was the solution?  i may want to run
> a server when i get from underneath the current work load.

Is that a challenge? :)

Basically i installed the dedicated server, crafted a nice wolfconfig.cfg
(which was mostly stolen from my client, with the server stuff changed, like
maxclients, timeouts, datarate, etc)
then i ran it, and from the console issued:

map mp_beachtest

and voila, the server started, bound to both my internal and external
interface. (the config has my external ip, just in case)

so far i've tried it out with some folks from the #ucd channel, and we had
myself and marianne on the local side + 2 people from the outside, and they
both claimed the speed was great.

I'm going to see if it'll handle 4-5 outside connections tonight or later on.

-Gabe

ps. did you see that you can already pre-order the commercial version? very
tempting. I'm really looking forward to the single player campaign.