[vox] RAND licensing: a new threat for degradation of open stantards

[vox] RAND licensing: a new threat for degradation of open stantards

Perhaps you have heard about the WWW Consortium's[*] RAND proposal:

	http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-patent-policy-20010816/

The gist of it is that the W3c can now, pending adoption of this policy,
create standards that are based around patented technology. To use these
standards, implementors (e.g, browser authors) must pay ``Reasonable And
Non-Discriminatory'' licensing fees to the patent owners.

Of course, this has raised quite a ruckus in the OSS community. ESR's
criticism:

	http://lwn.net/2001/1011/a/osi-w3c.php3

Overall I think this is a very bad move for the free and loosely-structured
nature of the Net that most of us value so highly.

[*] These are the guys who brought us vendor-independant, open, free standards
    for the web such as HTML 4.0, CSS1, and HTTP 1.1.

--
Henry House