Re: [vox] Linux hits a grand slam at home

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 10:12:20AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> I don't know if what they've done is a good thing.  Now they have a single
> point of failure.  What do they do if they need to upgrade the hardware?
> -- they can't do it one computer at a time but they gotta shut down
> everything.  If I were them, I would've kept around at least a few old
> systems for skeleton backup (not that they didn't -- maybe they did and
> the article doesn't mention it?)

Actually you can upgrade IBM S/390 hardware while the system is running. If a
processor fails while the system is up, the hardware system-health monitor
detects the fault and deactivates the processor until it is replaces. The
replacement may be brought online with no interruption in running
applications. Truly amazing hardware (amazingly costly too ;-).

--
Henry House