Identd and C++ (was Re: [vox] irc question)

Identd and C++ (was Re: [vox] irc question)

This needs redirection... what a divergence, pete!

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin: ME <dugan@passwall.com> quote
> > On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >> is there any way to connect to the lugod irc server without having to install
> >> identd?   i'd really rather not have identd on my system.
> >
> > Run a fake identd server that listens for requests and agrees with the irc
> > servers request for lookup.
>
> mike, thanks!   i found something called nullidentd.  i'll give that a try.

ME's discussion is interesting, but there are benefits to using a lying
identd over a null identd.

You have an LRP box... you could run oidentd, which allows you to provide
an arbitrary userid based on which ip is getting masqueraded through the
connection being queried.  I don't know whether oidentd can merge identd
results from multiple boxes with its translation tables, but that would be
ideal.

Just keep in mind that identd is not designed for the benefit of the
system doing the query... it is designed for the benefit of the sysadmin
of the machine where the abusers connection originated. The primary
security weakness of identd is as a tool for crackers to learn usernames
on your system.  If you lie, no-one else will be the wiser, but if you
omit any useful information at all then if you get blacklisted you will
have no information about where the offending connections came from when
you ask why you have been blacklisted.  If you lie creatively with the
identd, you will have some benefit of identd without telling the world
what your actual usernames are. While that is of minimal concern on a home
system, it could be useful to know which of your machines at least was
compromised, and if you do have multiple user accounts, which account was
compromised. :)

Alternatively, a REJECT or an accept for the ident port on the firewall
box with no service there will often do the trick.  The latter is most
likely to work... I have encountered systems that didn't like REJECT.

> > addresses. This with auto-ok identd means you K-line an entire IP address,
> > and then maybe a whole ISP block just to stop one user who may happily
> > change ISPs until all of the ISPs are banned.)
>
> the words "baby" and "bathwater" come to mind!   ;)

If you don't provide identd, the shit in the bathwater means the whole
bath has to go.

[...]

> well, i wanted to ask a question that seemed too complicated for email.  i'll
> try asking anyway.   :)
>
> i'm getting a g++ error that is confusing the heck out of me:
>
> g++ -g -c -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual  Potential.cc
> Potential.cc: In method `void Potential::CalculatePotential(const Run &,
> const complex<long double> *)':
> Potential.cc:88: argument passing to `complex<long double> *' from `long double'

This is a very strange error message. I can find no documentation that g++
even produces it, nor even any instance of "argument passing" in any of
the g++ binaries or libraries.

>    typedef complex<long double> cplx;
>    void trisolve(const long int , cplx *, cplx *, cplx *, const cplx *, cplx *);
>
>    void Potential::CalculatePotential(const Run &run, const cplx *wf)
>    {
>       trisolve(run.N, A, B, C, wf, X);   //   <---  line 88
>    }
>
> the prototype for trisolve:

... is above?

> run.N is a long int.  everything else is declared a cplx *.  it sounds like
> g++ thinks i'm passing a long double when it expects a cplx *.   there are no
> long doubles here.
>
> if my understanding of what the error message means is right, then i'm at a
> complete loss here.
>
> i know this isn't much to go on.  any suggestions of what to look for?

Conversion operations? Variable scope?

Can you create a single simplified file that produces the error?

> the idea of templates is great, but i wish the syntax were a bit nicer!

I would agree with that.  However, I don't know that templates are the
problem here.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing