Re: [vox] irc question

begin: ME <dugan@passwall.com> quote
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>> is there any way to connect to the lugod irc server without having to install
>> identd?   i'd really rather not have identd on my system.
>
> Run a fake identd server that listens for requests and agrees with the irc
> servers request for lookup.

mike, thanks!   i found something called nullidentd.  i'll give that a try.

> addresses. This with auto-ok identd means you K-line an entire IP address,
> and then maybe a whole ISP block just to stop one user who may happily
> change ISPs until all of the ISPs are banned.)

the words "baby" and "bathwater" come to mind!   ;)

> You may choose to ignore this when you find out that I was one of those
> people that made custom ircII script [war|channel] bots and offer "free
> security testing of non ircII clients when receiving OOB data." Have not
> done any of that for 6 or 7 years though. (It was at one time "fun" to see
> a simple, yet trivial invisible message which when sent to the channel
> would cause the mac and windows IRC client users disconnect. Now these OOB
> attacks do not work, and have not worked for many years.)

reminds me of the good ol days of blue boxing, where you sent routing tones
(multi-frequency) over a POTS line, once you got the attention of a trunk.
normally, MF was OOB (on northern telecom switches, you can sometimes hear MF
when you make toll calls) but still travelled on the same circuits that voice
communication travelled.

the telcos smartened up, and MF is now passed over a completely different
circuit.  for awhile it was possible to call some 800 numbers that routed to
remote places where they didn't convert over to the new separate circuits.

well, i wanted to ask a question that seemed too complicated for email.  i'll
try asking anyway.   :)

i'm getting a g++ error that is confusing the heck out of me:

g++ -g -c -Wall -Woverloaded-virtual  Potential.cc
Potential.cc: In method `void Potential::CalculatePotential(const Run &,
const complex<long double> *)':
Potential.cc:88: argument passing to `complex<long double> *' from `long double'

   typedef complex<long double> cplx;
   void trisolve(const long int , cplx *, cplx *, cplx *, const cplx *, cplx *);

   void Potential::CalculatePotential(const Run &run, const cplx *wf)
   {
      trisolve(run.N, A, B, C, wf, X);   //   <---  line 88
   }

the prototype for trisolve:

run.N is a long int.  everything else is declared a cplx *.  it sounds like
g++ thinks i'm passing a long double when it expects a cplx *.   there are no
long doubles here.

if my understanding of what the error message means is right, then i'm at a
complete loss here.

i know this isn't much to go on.  any suggestions of what to look for?

the idea of templates is great, but i wish the syntax were a bit nicer!

pete