January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] irc question

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> is there any way to connect to the lugod irc server without having to install
> identd?   i'd really rather not have identd on my system.

Run a fake identd server that listens for requests and agrees with the irc
servers request for lookup.

Run a Windows/Mac client that listends on the identd port and agrees with
the irc server's request.

Code up an IRC client and run it as root (ACK!) to allow it to bind to the
priv. port range and then have your client do the same kind of
auto-response to the server ident query.

Configure your Linux box to make priv ports, non-priv ports where non-root
users may bind stuff and then make your irc client do the auto-response
to ident requests (mutually exclusive to other users of the same box
running that same irc client cause another processhas allready bound the
ident port.)

Configure the IRC server to not require identd authentication. (If mac and
windows users can use any username they want without any worry, why not
allow unix people to do the same?)

Of course, one reason is that unix systems often have more than one user
on them, and when the sysadmin gets a complaint that someone from IP
aaddress w.x.y.z (hostname.tld) was causing problems, the admin has not
way of knowing which of their users it might be. Of course, if you know
what you are doing, and the right people /have the proper access, you can
appear to be from any server on the net including ones that are not real.

With identd, the irc server may find ways to restrict access to a
particular user at a site when identd is used/required rather than add a
k-line for the whole freaking IP address. (This still offer macs/windows
users an advantage - especially when their ISP hands them out dynamic IP
addresses. This with auto-ok identd means you K-line an entire IP address,
and then maybe a whole ISP block just to stop one user who may happily
change ISPs until all of the ISPs are banned.)

Then depending upon the IRC network, you may just be able to find a new
server without a K-line and be happily back to causing trouble.

I was a *goooood* IRC user back in the day, not one of those *baaaaad* IRC
users - really! Why don't you believe me? ;-)

If your IRC server is by itself with no other servers linked to it, and
the IRC server admin has not had problems with users at
multi-user-static-ip-address-hosts, then why not turn off the identd on
ther server?

You may choose to ignore this when you find out that I was one of those
people that made custom ircII script [war|channel] bots and offer "free
security testing of non ircII clients when receiving OOB data." Have not
done any of that for 6 or 7 years though. (It was at one time "fun" to see
a simple, yet trivial invisible message which when sent to the channel
would cause the mac and windows IRC client users disconnect. Now these OOB
attacks do not work, and have not worked for many years.)

-ME