Re: [vox] miracle on alvarado ave

Yeah,
I own one of those LinkSys (4 port 10/100 Etherswitch, IP Masq(NAT 1 to
many)/ Firewall/routing, PPPoE, WAN connect, 802.11b Wireless Access Point
(with the "128" (not really) bit key encryption systems.

The unit was cheap, and I have a wireless system for my house.

Disadvantages:
WEP with the "64 bit" (not really) and "128 bit" (not really) does not
work with the Linux WEP system over 802.11b. :-/ (Cisco's Wireless Access
Point is supposed to work with WEP to the Linux available iwconfig wep
stuff (did not read this, just heard this.)

For windows users wit WEP enabled, there is a hit to throughput with DSL.

The firewall rules are *weak*.

TCP/IP implementation is not production quality (IMO, BYMMV).

bugs exist in their web-page configuration system for my unit. Sure, I can
load the pages with Netscape 4.78, but the pages dont work too well
"as-is."

Oh yes, and the LinkSys could not even talk TCP/IP over 802.11b until I
gut a firmware upgrade, and finding support for the unit was impossible.

I still have one, and use it on the 4th ethernet interface on my GW
(insecure network) and have the access point doing DHCP for anyone within
range with no WEP. I kinda want to see if anyone out there happens to come
by to use it. I fthey bust the router, then they cant talk on the net. :-)

As for the other direction, the Linux box (GW) has sufficient firewall
rules to prevent the other side of the LinkSys from being exposed to the
real world.

I feel much better about the security of the Linux firewall rules than I
would in using the LinkSys.

The nifty removable wireless antenna do offer the advanatge of extending
the range on the puppy with high gain or (ak) amplifiers

Cheap price is another one.

Before you go to buy one, examine what some people on one of the support
grups have been saying about them.

(It took me a while to find this, and I reccomend it for anyone looking to
get an access point. :-)

Linksys specific group:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/equip,16

alternate major group heading:
http://www.dslreports.com/forums/18

More to say?
Go check out some of those public access 802.11b groups out there (one for
example: http://nocat.net/ ) who have been trying to use Linux with small
motherboards and PCMCIA cards and large antenna for less than $400 to
service large areas...

-ME