Re: [vox] Ms license laugh

begin: zeruch [Joseph Estevao Arruda] <z@valinux.com> quote
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> <deletia>
> > the fact is that bush's administration has opted to not break up microsoft's
> > monopoloy.  the administration has also dropped the last charge against
> > MS -- the charge that explorer is illegally tied to the MS operating system.
>
> At this point in the game, its fairly irrelevant too. I would rather
> have them strung up for further tyibng efforts (i.e.
> Hailstorm/Passport/XP et al)

at this point in the game, i would agree.  but it didn't have to be this way.

> The browser wars are over...IE won.  And Konqueror doesnt count for crap
> because its only a *nix browser, and Mozilla still has a way to go, and
> Opera has bupkis exposure.

i agree completely.  it's a shame because the idea of mozilla is appealing,
and opera is the best browser i've ever seen.

> > whether you like bush or not, he's a very lucky president.  for a 5 million
> > dollar campaign contribution and a 1 million dollar innaugural contribution,
> > they have finally got their way.
>
> Not exactly.  The EU investigation will begin fairly soon, and that
> bodes very badly at this point, because EU Anti-Trust law is
> considerably more stringent and punitive than US law.  And you dont piss
> off your 2nd largest market anymore than you do your 1st...its bad for
> business (and thats all MS is interested in...keep their inflated stock
> price up). EU law actually looks at consumer effects as much (if not
> more) than market-competition effects.

i disagree here.  we were aggressively persuing the issue, and it was
completely dropped.  that's a monumental hurdle they deftly maneuvered
around.  that's lucky.

i also think that the next couple of years will see a tremendous amount of
tragedy, both here and abroad.  it's unfortunate, but the EU has a lot more
to worry about than a microsoft monopoly.

as far as "bad for business" goes, what are they going to do?  not buy
microsoft?  doubt it.  the people who feel like they must have microsoft will
continue to use microsoft, whether they're pissed off or not.

they don't have the same clout.

i'm afraid the best hope the world has for a fair competitive OS market
is linux (and if you believe the developers of bsd, it'll be bsd).

but we're after world domination, right?  :)

pete

                    -- Clause from license for FrontPage 2002