Re: [vox] MacOS X talk poll

William Kendrick wrote:

>Robert Doss has asked what particular aspects of MacOS X we'd like him
>to talk about when he comes to speak on October 2nd.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>-bill!

-->  On a technical basis:

The abstraction between the BSD 4.4 kernel and where Mac begins.
Compare and contrast Mac OS/X with the Linux Standards Base.
    Where do the config files reside?
    What format are they in?
    How are they edited (by the user in a GUI)?
    What FSF/GNU/BSD/Linux tools do you use?  And let users use.
        Do you have your own compilers/libraries/drivers?
Basically where the line is.  Where does BSD stop and Mac begin.

Is there a difference between a Mac desktop and server?
    Is Mac even designed to be a server?

Does OS/X handle multiple users?

-->  On a philosophical basis:

Apple's position on the DMCA and SSSCA.
    This is enlight of their mastering software for DVDs and CDs.
There position on the GPL vs BSD license.
What is the thing that we, as programmers of free software, can do to help
    create open file standards, API's, and network protocols, in order
to prevent
    M$ from locking us out of their world and the world of interoperability.

    This should include allowing a Linux player to work with Apple's
    proprietary Quicktime format.

How many of the device drivers are open source (BSD/GPL/ohter) and how
many were made proprietary?  Was that Apple's decision on the hardware
vendors?

-->  On a real technical basis:

Compare and contrast the kernel latencies in regards to realtime
(multimedia, etc.)
applications between BSD 4.4 and others.  Particularly Windows & Linux.

What about the virtual memory management?  Modifications/similairities.

What are the operating limits on the kernel?
    Max CPUs?
    Max partition sizes?
    Max File Sizes?
    Max Memory Sizes?

How well would Linux/BSD run on Mac compliant hardware?

-->  On a real/statistical basis:

How much help has Apple gotten on the kernel since releasing the source?
    Active contributors?
    Bug reports?
    Bug fixes?
    From the BSD community?