Re: [vox] forget my previous post

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Sam Peterson wrote:

> Sorry, forgot to ask in my last post.
>
> I just built a new athlon 1.4Ghz system myself.  This is the first time I'd
> done anything like this.  Everything seems to run smoothly, except my
> processor is running like a fireball!  62 degrees Celsius on average and
> it'll creep up to 70 if I really tax the processor.  This over 140-150
> degrees Fahrenheit.
>
> [...]
>
> Also, I have a 64MB GeForce2 400/MX.  It's probably nothing compared to

That's strange.  I have a 1.4G also, and I only get upper 40's (47-49C)
when it's sitting idle for a while.  When I run the distributed.net
cracking program, I get about 51-53C.  These numbers are with the case
open, since I didn't get a fan with the case.  After I went to Fry's
yesterday to get a case fan, I installed it in the back of the case, and I
get around 48C running the distributed.net cracking client for a few
minutes.  Your chip is definitely on the hot side.  Where did you get your
heatsink?  Was it used?  A rear case fan would definitely help.  Perhaps
the mobo is giving bad readings.  I don't know if your video card is
contributing to the heat, but it shouldn't, since it's so far away & your
numbers are cpu readings.

FL