[vox] TCMHC presents Linus Torvalds on "The Origins of Linux"

[vox] TCMHC presents Linus Torvalds on "The Origins of Linux"

feel free to disseminate widely.

anyone interested in going?

pete

The Computer Museum History Center presents

Linus Torvalds, Transmeta Corporation "The Origins of Linux"

DATE & TIME:
Wednesday, September 19, 2001 at 6 PM

LOCATION:
NASA Ames Main Auditorium (Building 201)
Moffett Federal Airfield, Mountain View, CA

RECEPTION:
A reception will follow from 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM in the Museum's Visible
Storage Exhibit Area (Building 126)

RESERVATIONS:
Advance reservations are required in order to be admitted to Moffett Federal
Airfield.
RSVP by Monday, September 17

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Due to the high interest in this lecture, SIGN UP EARLY AND PLAN TO BE AT
THE AUDITORIUM EARLY.  RESERVATIONS WILL BE ACCOMMODATED ON A FIRST COME
FIRST SERVED BASIS.  It is possible that there will be more sign-ups than
can be seated in the auditorium for this lecture.

CALL: 650-604-2714 or EMAIL: lectures@computerhistory.org

*********IMPORTANT: SEE BADGING INFO AND DIRECTIONS BELOW********

ABSTRACT OF TALK:

Linus Torvalds, the creator of the operating system phenomenon Linux, tells
the story of how he went from writing code as a graduate student in Helsinki
in the early 1990s to becoming an icon for open source software by the end
of the decade.

BACKGROUND OF SPEAKER:

"Some people are born to lead millions. Others are born to write
world-changing software. Only one person does both: Torvalds. As a student
at the University of Helsinki in 1991, the Finn invented the alternative
operating system Linux and gave away the source code free. Anybody anywhere
could hack away happily on Linux, fixing bugs, adding features and making it
perfect." --Time Digital

Linus Torvalds relocated from Finland to Silicon Valley to join Transmeta
Corporation. Keeping a low profile, he is a working member of the software
team developing Transmeta's Code Morphing chip software and Mobile Linux.

Multi-talented, Torvalds is also an author of an autobiography called "Just
for Fun:The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary."

Information about The Computer Museum History Center

CALENDAR OF UPCOMING EVENTS:

OCTOBER 8 at 6 pm
Doron Swade, Author
"The Difference Engine"
The Tech, San Jose
$7.00 TCMHC and The Tech Members
$10.00 Non-Member

OCTOBER 11 at 6 pm
Dan Ingalls, Walt Disney Imagineering
"From Smalltalk to Squeak"
NASA Auditorium, Moffett Field

OCTOBER 17 at 6 pm
Doug Engelbart, C. Niklaus Wirth, Jean-Daniel Nicoud, Daniel Borel, Stuart
Card
"Early Computer Mouse Encounters"
Xerox PARC Auditorium
Palo Alto

OCTOBER 23 at 6 pm
2001 Fellow Awards Banquet and Special Reception with Swiss computer
artifact exhibit
The Fairmont Hotel
San Jose

OCTOBER 24 at 6 pm
Fred Brooks, 2001 Fellow and Kenan Professor of Computer Science
Topic to be announced
Location to be determined

NOVEMBER 8 at 6 pm
Don Knuth, Professor Emeritus, Stanford University
"Questions Answered"
Location to be determined

DECEMBER 6 at 6 pm
Eric Schmidt, Google, Inc.
NASA Auditorium, Moffett Field

BADGING INFO AND DIRECTIONS:

When you RSVP, please provide the following information:

For US citizens: Full name, affiliation, address, phone number, and
notification of US citizenship. (Please bring your picture ID.)

For Green Card holders: Same requirements as for US citizens. Please provide
your country of citizenship and Green Card number. (Bring your Green Card
with you.)

For Non-US citizens: Same requirements as for US citizens above, plus
citizenship, VISA type and expiration date, passport number and expiration
date, date of birth, and country of birth. (Please bring your passport.)

Since The Museum collection is temporarily housed within a closed Federal
facility, all guests must register in advance to be admitted. You may be
required to show your picture ID and/or passport upon entering the base.

DIRECTIONS:

To Moffett Field/NASA Ames Research Center:

>From 101 North or South, take the 2nd Moffett Exit (Moffett Field) to the
guard gate at the main entrance to the NASA Ames Research Center.

>From Highway 85 heading north take the Moffett Boulevard exit to the guard
gate at the main entrance to the NASA Ames Research Center.

To NASA Ames Main Auditorium (Building 201):

Immediately after passing the guard gate, turn left onto Arnold Avenue.
>From Arnold Avenue turn right onto Bush Circle. You will see the main
administration building (Building N200) directly ahead. Veer right around
the circle until you come to Building N201 (the Auditorium), which is
immediately behind Building N200. Please note the one-way signs on base.

To The Computer Museum History Center's Visible Storage Area (Building 126):

>From the NASA Auditorium, exit onto Bush Circle. Continue on Bush Circle to
Arnold Avenue and make a right turn onto Arnold Avenue. From Arnold Avenue
make a left turn onto Clark Road and proceed straight ahead, keeping in the
left lane. Continue ahead, bearing slightly left as the road forks, driving
along the open green of the Naval Reserve heading for NASA Hangar One. One
block before the hangar, turn right onto Severyns Avenue. Building 126 is on
your left at the end of the block. Parking is available in any of the
surrounding lots.

>From the guard gate, proceed straight ahead, keeping in the left lane.
Continue ahead, bearing slightly left as the road forks, driving along the
open green of the Naval Reserve heading for NASA Hangar One. One block
before the hangar, turn right onto Severyns Avenue. Building 126 is on your
left at the end of the block. Parking is available in any of the surrounding
lots.

The Computer Museum History Center
Moffett Federal Airfield
Building T12-A