Re: [vox] [ot] Enterprise?

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Stephen M. Helms wrote:

> Well, I kind of find her character interesting.  If we compare her being
> emotional to Spock not being emotion, then I do not think it is a good
> comparison.  Spock is after all half human and it is pretty clear he
> always suppressed his emotions and his human side.

Yah, Spock's got the "Better English than native English speakers" thing
going on with his emotional discipline.

I didn't have much trouble with t'Pol being overly emotional.  Vulcans are
supposed to have emotions, they're just expected to act on logical rather
than emotional motivations and restrain the display of those emotions as
much as possible to avoid offending other Vulcans.  It's a messed up
society, let me tell you.  ;)

I think the actress did a pretty good job of portraying an almost
overwhelming repugnance, and when it came down to her choosing her
preferences over what appeared to be the best course of action, the
writers followed through.  It may have been a more challenging show if
they had chosen to let her win one of her battles, and deal with the
ramifications of a thwarted first outing, but I'm not going to complain.

The one thing that really did bother me though...  Vulcans are touch
telepaths.  People don't touch touch telepaths, but that gelly guy had his
hands *all* over her (and why couldn't she rub ointment on her own ears?).
I think it would have been entertaining to have two Vulcans on the show
who could politely snipe about how trying it is to live with humans.