Re: [vox] Linux just Quit

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, John McDonnell wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Tom wrote:
>
> > Inrestingly - Linux was running one of the Random Screen Savers (the
> > one where the screen is broken up into Blocks) and QUIT.
>
> I've had this happen before... it's a problem with the screen saver app.
> Not quite sure what although it only ever happened to me when the screen
> is locked too...
>
> > (interesting for a system that was idling and suppose to be so rock
> > solid and stable and run for days...)
>
> oh *linux* is rock solid and *will* run for days, months, even years. he
> app that was runnign froze the system - the kernel was still fine...

This is a very strange assertion.  What is your definition of "system"?

X? okay... Restart X.

Console access? I don't see how apps can do that. CTRL-ALT-F1 is
 recognized in the kernel. Apps can trigger bugs in the kernel, but if the
 console is locked up the kernel had to participate in the failure.
 Some versions of Netscape used to trigger a denial-of-service (DOS) on my
 cpu resource (sucked it up in an infinite loop), but if I was
 patient my keystrokes would be responded to and I could kill the
 offending process. To manage my impatience, I used ulimit to restrict the
 maximum number of cpu-seconds netscape could use, until I upgraded
 it.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing