Re: [vox] From another Linux list...something worth pondering

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, zeruch [Joseph Estevao Arruda] wrote:

> <IANAL>

No harm in bouncing around ideas :)

> Form a class of people who:
>
> A - use Microsoft products and lost data or incurred downtime due to
>    infections from CR*/Nimda

In order for the argument to stand, it can't be just anybody who uses
Microsoft products, but people who use IIS (I think that's what gets
infected with Nimda and CodeRed) that bought IIS a reasonable time
after the patches were released.  ("Reasonable time" = reasonable time for
MS to make the recall.)

Alternatively, you could argue that Microsoft should have sent out notices
via mail or e-mail to all those registered after the bug was found, in
which case you can classify everyone who uses IIS.

Still, Microsoft can argue that it says somewhere to use Windows Update
on a regular basis to keep the system up-to-date to avoid viruses and
trogens.  They can also argue Nimda is trogen and people shouldn't have
opened the mail.  They can also argue sysadmins and those who decide
to run webservers on the public internet should know better.  A defense to
these (and countless others) should be well thought-out before going after
them.

> B  - do not use Microsoft products but incurred downtime or lost data
>    due to CR*/Nimda

You can lose bandwidth even if you do use Microsoft products.

-Mark! :)

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/