Re: [vox] miracle on alvarado ave

On Fri, 14 September 2001, William Kendrick wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 04:43:36PM -0700, speck@blkmtn.org wrote:
> > <sigh>
> >
> > Ah well.  For anyone else out there  :)
> > leaf.sourceforge.net
>
> Well, can I use it as a print server, a scanner server, a palm cradle
> share, a zip drive share, and a RIO MP3 player share?  Can I run my UPS's
> software on it so it can shut down my other PCs (via Ethernet) if wall
> power dies?
>
> I really want to take advantage of the system's horsepower (P133, 64MB RAM,
> 2GB HD).  At our last place, we were booting LRP off of floppy, and it
> was just taking up tons of desk space for what it was doing.
>
> -bill!

Hmm,
Well, I was just sort of yanking your chain... :)  but..
At the surplus store, $40.00 will probably get you a system.  If not, I probably have a 486/P100 that you could have, familly gives me their cast offs and I scavenge them or stick 'em in a closet.  Never can tell when they come in handy.  ('sides, I'm a serious pack rat)  The other option, is using a SBC, 'course that requires you have a few bucks to burn.  I hope to do this someday, but with my last day at work being next Friday, it is unlikely it will happen anytime in the near future.

File server:  there is a SAMBA package available.
Print Server:  I think someone did that, but not sure
UPS:  Don't know, ask Jeff N.
The rest, well, you might be better off with a full distro, but you also might be able to compile LRP modules.

As for desk space, I put mine in the closet and remotely administered it with ssh, it had a keyboard, no monitor.  It was accessable from work, so I could ssh in and open up a port and forward to an internal system if I needed something.  Very handy. Ran an internal web/mail server for several years.  Lot's of fun.

Well, I unfortunatly am already late in getting out of town for a family event, otherwise I'd love to come down to the installfest.  bummer.

Have fun,
-sp