Re: [vox] [OT] unions

Joel and Jeff,

Thanks!  Yes, I actually get it now :)  I recognize that most people on
this list are way ahead of me in understanding all this.  But it's nice to
know that there are people here who will take the time to try to explain
it in a way I can catch on.

As an undergrad in biology, I was only required to take one quarter of
computer science.  Basically, I learned the difference between software
and hardware, something about zeros and ones, and that's about it.  Now,
as a Ph.D. candidate, I find that many (most?) of the jobs available in
private industry in my field want Unix familiarity, and Perl scripting
ability.  It's a last-minute scramble to learn what I need in order to be
marketable.  LUGOD and vox folks have been a huge help.

--Christine

p.s.  If anyone here has any pressing questions related to molecular
phylogenetic analysis ... hey, drop me a line!  I'd be glad to help ;)