Re: [vox] [OT] unions

sigh,

Unions have fought for workers rights.  In the past, businesses have killed people for advocating Unions.  They still do in a lot of foreign countries for wanting to form Unions.  In America, I think it's been some 80 years fortunatly.

Unions brought most of us a 5 day work week (some industries have exceptions), insurance, reasonable working conditions.  Rights which are constantly being eroded by corporate interests in the name of profits and share holders.  Why pay a resonable wage when you don't have to?

I, as an individual, have the right to market my resources (skills, ability, talent) to negotiate a wage for myself.  However, I can more effectively bargain if I negotiate in a group where we have the ability to cost the corporation money by not working if they do not negotiate.  This threat only works if the corporation cannot replace you.

Unions will, in general, fight for issues that they believe will help their members.  If you have been fired unfairly, denied a promotion, the company is moving your job overseas where it is 'cheaper'.  That is what they are supposed to do.  It is their job.  No organization is perfect.

All of that said, unions are run by people.  People make mistakes.  People, by nature, are political (if you don't realize that...).  If you don't like the way the unions are run, run for office in it and change it.  When unions, or anyone, negotiate, there are compromises that have to be made, and there are costs involved.  When you joined the union, you agreed to share those costs, inconvient and costly as it might be to you personally.  If you don't like them, DON'T SIGN THE EULA and realize that that too may carry a cost.  They negotiated a succussful EULA for the conditions under which the  company hired you.

People do good and bad.  Unions are run by people.  On the whole, unions have won us more good then most people realize.  Even those not in unions benefit most of the time from union activities.

What's the difference between a union and an employment agency?  A union is suposed to fight for you, an employment agency is merely a conduit for money and will drop you like a rock the instant you have no more use to them (contract end).

Steven Peck
speck@blkmtn.org