Re: [vox] Linux Magazine?

On Thu, 23 August 2001, Jan Wynholds wrote:
> I think the blame lies more with M$ than anything else.  Why would M$ Marketing
> think that advertising in a Linux would gain them customers.  Like anyone who
> uses linux doesn't know about M$ products?  Most people who use linux use it
> because it's a superior product (for their purposes, of course).
>
> I think it's hilarious that M$ would flush it's marketing budget down the
> toilet like that ;)
>
> jan

Microsoft makes mistakes.  True.  Microsoft is a VERY successful company and their marketing (advertising to the public, not the other legal snafu's) is VERY successful.  And they have a LOT of money.  I doubt that this even shows up on the radar of their budget.

Keep in mind that it is about mindshare.  While someone may be reading this magazine and be considering going with a hosting company and paying less for a Linux server, as oppossed to a WIndows Server, they KNOW that Windows is the best right?  They know this because they use Windows all the time, so they understand it.  Hype aside, if they see the ad, that may be all it takes.  Free Windows 2000 Server?  Oh boy!  Little realizing the licensing cost is the real expense.

Now all this is perception, but I deal with folks (non-industry) who really don't know the difference.  Nor do they care.  They just want to get work done.  They don't care if it's a Stanley hammer, or a Craftsman hammer, they just want to drive the nail in and go home.  So, while I see nothing wrong with accepting MS advertising in a Linux mag (it shows confidence in your advocated product), if it gets just one person to reconsider Linux, it was worth it to MS.  If it keeps MS in the minds of Linux users, it does it's job.

If it generates awareness and discussion of Linux Magazine among Linux users (thus generating more readership), it does it's job of free advertising.

-sp