[vox] [rasjidw@bigpond.com: Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry]

An interesting tid-bit :)

Rasjid <rasjidw@bigpond.com> said on the "Simple End-User Linux"/"Education"
mailing list:

<snip>

> My first addition is almost done, which is a greatly cut down version of
> Cygwin/XFree86 (xfree86.cygwin.com).  For those of you not familiar with
> it, Cygwin/XFree86 is a port of XFree86 to Windows using the Cygwin
> libraries, and is fully open-source.  A full install of Cygwin/XFree86
> is around 300MB, but provides a full Unix-like environment including an
> XServer and windowmanger.  However, my cut down install to provide an
> XServer only sufficient to connect to a Linux box running XDM and a font
> server is only 5MB (less than 2MB bzip2'ed).  This allows any Windows
> workstation to become an instant Xterm, which just runs like any other
> program on their Windows desktop.  This can be done without even
> installing any software on the Windows computer, as the required files
> can be stored on the Linux box and shared using Samba.
>
> There are a number of shareware and commercial products that do this
> already, but they need to be installed on each workstation and start at
> US$30 per seat.
>
> I hope to have the first version done within the next few weeks and a
> website up giving access to it.  I shall post further information when
> done.

The above sounds fabulous.  So many people have asked me how they can
run X-Window on their non-Un*x OSes, and all I could say was "well,
there are some commercial products, but I forget what they're called."

Soon we'll be able to say "oh yeah, just go download XFree86!" :)

> For those more interested in a product that is a great file, e-mail and
> printer server and internet gateway that can 'pretend' to be an NT
> server for a school full of Windows clients, I would look at
> www.e-smith.com (and www.e-smith.org, their development site).  It is an
> extremely cut down distribution based on RedHat, but since it does not
> even include XWindows, it can be fully installed in under 10 minutes.
> It has an extremely easy to use Web-based interface for adding users etc
> that is substantially easier to use than Windows NT.  There are no
> client licence issues, and it can either be used for free or you can
> purchase a professional support contract from e-smith (or local
> suppliers in some places) for around US$500 per year, which includes all
> updates and upgrades.

And where have we heard of this (e-smith) before? :)