[vox] [owner-vox@lists.mother.com: BOUNCE vox@lists.lugod.org: Non-me

[vox] [owner-vox@lists.mother.com: BOUNCE vox@lists.lugod.org: Non-member submission from [Takashi Ishihara <tishihara@ucdavis.edu>]]

----- Forwarded message from owner-vox@lists.mother.com -----

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 01:52:01 -0700
From: owner-vox@lists.mother.com
To: owner-vox@lists.lugod.org
Subject: BOUNCE vox@lists.lugod.org:    Non-member submission from [Takashi Ishihara <tishihara@ucdavis.edu>]

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 04:22:25AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> If you don't know, I'm in Japan right now.  Other than cars driving
> on the wrong side of the road making me nervous, I'm doing well.  I'm

No no no... you American guys drive on the wrong side.
Japan, England, and other countries are the correct ones.

> having a lot of fun :)

Check out Kabuki-cho at night.
Don't miss SoapLand (adult version of DisneyLand).

> Anyway, I'm staying in an apartment across from a large electronics store.
> They have some Linux stuff, and I was thinking about picking up a copy of
> Linux for LUGOD.  They're like 3500 yen to 12000 yen depending on which

I guess 12k version has extra commercial softwares, and the rest is
identical. I belive those Japanese versions are capable of handling
Korean and Chinese as well. Possibly some other languages. If 12k version
has office apps, then it's good to show at lugod demo.  I believe it's
Kondara or Turbo.  I don't like both for non-technical reasons, but I'm
very interested in whatever the linux distro in Japanese.

> versions for PPC (again, a 3500 yen one and a 12000 yen one, again by the
> same maker as the PC one.)  Do we need one?  PPC or PC?  I'm on a budget

I guess PPC is quite popular in Japan?
Obviously not here in the US... If you got PC  version, I will definitly
try it out. I don't have ppc, and not very interested in getting one anytime
soon. (but new ibook is so attractive)

> so can't get the 12000 yen one but I can certainly pick up one of the
> others.

12000 yen pc version.
and
3500  yen ppc version. (just to support minority).

> PPS: Should I get an MD player/burner? :)

Yes. I have two (both AIWA). It's much better than mp3 crap.
You can record digitally with text info. (sync mode). so don't forget to
get IR cable, too.  I recommend SONY or DENON.

--
Takashi Ishihara                 http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~ishihara
;; The first precept was never to accept a thing as true until I knew it

----- End forwarded message -----