Re: Re: [vox] ACM article: 'Study: IT Budgets Opening Up to Linux'

Rod Roark wrote:

>Eric wrote:
>
>><snippy>
>>

>Sounds like a bit of a cop-out to me.  So you sell a
>setup that works, and then somewhere down the road it
>stops working.  What could possibly have gone wrong that
>replacing some hardware or restoring from backup won't
>fix?

I am a little late into this. Similer to what I did, but we never made
24x7 support for a variety of reasons. What exactly do you expect from
it? If you have systems that no-one touches (apart from the odd upgrade,
for security etc) then what could go wrong? Hardware...Not if, but when,
so how fast can hardware be shipped out? This varies, but is much harder
in the dead of the night.

Always advised backing up, even with RAID as you still have that RAID
card that could fail, and if its ver a year old that particular model
may not even be available anymore.

>OK so it's not always that simple, but still, you don't
>have to flush Linux willy-nilly just because *some* kinds
>of installations are tricky.

That does not only affect Linux, I know NT admin's getting the same
thing. Used to get them calling up on my last job too, asking why the MS
driver did not work...Most amazing most had not even gone to either the
manufacturer's website or MS's website.

>Not to mention there are surely some true gurus who would
>happily take a nice wad of cash to be on call.  Like some
>folks in LUGOD, maybe.

I'd do it, not sure what is meant by "true guru" though. If I don't
know, I know where to look. But its that independent contractor part I
don't like, mainly because of not wanting to deal with my own tax's for
example. Maybe in a few more years...But then it would beat working for
Circuit City selling stuff...

>-- Rod
>http://www.sunsetsystems.com/

Many regards,