Re: [vox] ACM article: 'Study: IT Budgets Opening Up to Linux'

--- speck@blkmtn.org wrote:
> Inroads into corporate mindshare.
<snip, snip, snip, snip>

Basic reason the large systems integrator I work for
does not "officially support" Linux is that we can't
get Platinum support ala SUN to be onsite within 4
hours with a workable solution. How can we sell Linux
to clients if we can't have guaranteed, quality OS
support 24x7. Sure, we know linux, and hp, and aix,
solaris, sequent, etc., but in a jam we can call those
companies for software support above and beyond our
capabilities if necessary. With Linux, it ain't that
easy. Maybe the company we contract with will not even
be in business in 6 months. We can't sell that
solution.
ERic