Re: [vox] lokigames book discount for lugs

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 11:20:18AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.com> quote
> > On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 05:12:28PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > if you ever wanted to order a game ported by loki, now is the time to
> > > do it...
> > >
> > > they have an online ordering service.   :)
> >
> > If anyone decides that Loki's Rune looks pretty damn good (which it
> > does), just keep in mind that it requires a combination of swap and
> > physical memory of 512MB (just for loading in between levels - sounds
> > like *supremely* crappy programming if you ask me).  If you have
> > kernel 2.4.*, make that total physical memory or total swap, since
> > (according to Loki) Linux 2.4 "effectively" sets aside a chunk of swap
> > equal to physical memory.
> >
> > This really burned me - I can't play until I've bought more memory or
> > a new hard-drive (which I'm planning on doing anyway).
>
> i just ordered rune yesterday.  it DOES look pretty good.   :-)
>
> on their website, they give the requirements:
>
>    RAM 64 MB RAM minimum, 128 MB RAM recommended
>    (512 MB combined RAM and swap required)
>
> micah, can't you set the amount of swap via kernel args?  something like
> swap=XXX?
>
> have to admit, i don't think i've ever seen a game require this kind of
> resource...
>
> if you get it working in the next week, i'd be interested in hearing your
> comments on the game.   after 7 days, i'm hoping to be able to see for
> myself.  :-)

I've been able to play the first (introductory level).  After that it
crashes ('coz of the RAM).  So far, it looks pretty sweet, but I
haven't been able to do much, really.

I don't think setting the kernel args will work, if the problem is I
don't have that much swap in my partition set aside (or am I missing
something?).

I'm already planning on getting the new expansion pack that's shipping.

Micah