January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] Here's the info on TechCoire you were looking for (or not)

Re: [vox] Here's the info on TechCoire you were looking for (or not)

begin: Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com> quote
> It's not spam.

i can't stand spam (earthlink reference).

honestly, i don't remember asking them for information.  if i did, it was a
/very/ long time ago!  the email came totally unexpected.

in addition (and this is the clincher) it was sent to vox as well, but
bounced since that email address isn't subscribed to our mailing list.
i can't think of any reason, other than unsolicited email, for that to
happen.  my guess is that they stumbled across our webpage and harvested the
address.

we used to get spammed pretty hard by hp, for instance.  i'd see bounce
messages at least a couple of times a day.  i tried contacting hp to stop
sending the emails, and pointed out that they can't post to the list without
being subscribed.  no reply.

it wasn't until i started sending 50 copies of their email back to them for
every one they sent to vox that they stopped spamming the list.  and then,
wouldn't you know it, they had the GAUL to try to sign up their spammer
address.

anyway, ever since that really bad experience, i've been very nervous about
companies sending commercial email to vox completely out of the blue.  there
are friendly companies which have a relationship with lugod -- but hp (and so
far, techcoire) has not.  i guess "personal contact" makes all the
difference.

> I've very recently donated web hosting services to them on my
> RH7.1 colo box at Omsoft.  It's accepting X connections because
> I'm planning to offer accounts that include X (VNC) logins.
> If you see any security issues with that, let me know.  Pete,
> you have my permission to try hacking into it.  :-)

heh.  ooops.   didn't mean to sniff around a friend's box.  how embarrasing.
please accept my apologies.  now that you mention it, i see that it resolves
to sunsetsystems.

i'm glad i didn't delve into it too deeply.  i was slightly curious about the
security of a premier networking company.   i was pretty impressed that they
were running linux.   now i see why!   :-)

i'll go slink under a rock now...   :-)

pete