Re: [vox] Going to be moving to Davis-Good evening :-)

Re: [vox] Going to be moving to Davis-Good evening :-)

Welcome to Davis!  I absolutely love this place, been here a year
now.  This is my first post to the list, so, hello everyone, hope I can be
of service around here.

I just got employed as a Programmer I here at UC Davis.  There are a lot of
computer jobs on campus, just look at the human resources page (think
someone already posted that, but here it is anyway:
http://hr.ucdavis.edu/).  It can take a while though, took nearly three
months from the time I applied, to the time I was hired.  Trust me though,
if I can get hired, there's no way you won't be hired; I have no degree,
and my background isn't nearly as extensive as yours.  Make sure to shoot
for the highest position you'd qualify for, a factor in not getting hired
is being over qualified for a position (they're scared you'll jump ship for
a better position within a few months).

Good luck with the application process and again, welcome!

PS: I love SuSE!  I'm not the biggest Red Hat fan, but all the Linux
servers I've run before have been Red Hat.

At 10:31 PM 8/14/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>   Hope everyone is doing good. I'll be moving to Davis next month, and it
> seems like a nice place.
>
>Just wondering, anyone know of anyone needing any Linux people with
>experience for work? Been checking around and sending out resume's for the
>past month, but no-one has yet even replied to a single application. Did
>not help that I got layed off by Penguin computing either...Hate to ask
>the list this on my first posting :-(. Flame away.
>
>I am using SuSE 7.2 as my distro. Guess I like lizards :-). I do have a
>lot of experience with Redhat from my time at Penguin.
>
>Why am I moving to Davis? Simple, my wife goes to the university there
>starting next month, so I have to invade :-).
>
>Be seeing you at your next meeting on the 20th with a little bit of luck!
>
>Many kind regards,
>
>Matthew Johnson

Sam Peterson
Hart Interdisciplinary Programs