Re: [vox] LJ Magazine Poll

begin: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> quote

> Well, it's written using libSDL, so it's easily portable to Windows
> (and Mac, and...)

bill, i would dearly love to see a windowed defendguin on a win95 and mac
desktop.  do you have any screen shots?

have you actually seen (or heard) of anyone playing defendguin on windows and
mac?

> >  I'm wondering ...
> > any chance of getting some old unused computer set up with Linux (and
> > Defendguin, of course) donated to an area daycare center? :)  Wouldn't
> > this make a *great* press release?

between everyone who replied, we sounded like we have everything we need to
donate a linux machine.  now someone just has to coordinate...

> (although the game's a little violent (not gorey, though) and is a CPU-hog,
> so I'm not sure how well it'll run on slower systems :) )

it's somewhat of a pig (sorry to say, but you know how much i love that
game).  i've noticed it slow down on a 233 PII w. a voodoo3.  there's got to
be a way to speed it up.  i wonder if using opengl primitives would speed
things up.  that way, people who have voodoo, nvidia and matrox boards would
have hardware acceleration at their fingertips.  right before i signed off
the sdl mailing list, sam announced opengl support for libsdl.

there's so much action, i guess you have to redraw the entire screen on each
pass in the event loop?

if you ever want to work on it again, maybe using gprof to see which
functions ought to be looked at more closely would be helpful?

pete (who spent many, many, many hours playing defendguin)

ps- bill, did you know you're part of the debian official distribution?

  # apt-get install defendguin
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
    defendguin
  0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
  Need to get 2260kB of archives. After unpacking 5276kB will be used.
  Get:1 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org woody/main defendguin 0.0.6-3 [2260kB]
  Fetched 2260kB in 18s (123kB/s)
  Selecting previously deselected package defendguin.
  (Reading database ... 65591 files and directories currently installed.)
  Unpacking defendguin (from .../defendguin_0.0.6-3_i386.deb) ...
  Setting up defendguin (0.0.6-3) ...