Re: [vox] Why Debian?

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:27:06AM -0700, William Kendrick wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 07:28:08PM +0100, John McDonnell wrote:
> > On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >
> > > heck, i barely ever run X as it is...
> >
> > see, that's where the main difference lies between us.
>
> Heheh... Pete's on his own here.  (And Mike Simons, too... his only
> reason for running X seems to be to have 36 viewports filled with
> hundreds of Xterms.  You should see how long it takes him to find a
> 'spare' one to run "date" on when he realizes he doesn't know what time
> it is :) )

I, too, used to only run X at a very bare minimum, spending the vast
majority of my hours in console mode.  I now use X almost exclusively
(both at work and home), but perhaps like Mike, a very large reason
for my doing so is simply 'coz I get smaller fonts with my xterm.

Other reasons for my using it constantly at work is, I like to be able
to take advantage of Emacs' X features - particularly being able to
copy and paste at the position I'm clicking on (in console, it goes
wherever the cursor was in the first place, instead of where you're
now clicking), and being able to have two full-length windows
side-by-side (in console mode, you can only split vertically).  Also,
since I spend a lot of time on comp.lang.c, I typically keep a
reference copy of the current C standard running under acroread in a
second viewport; as
well as Mozilla in another viewport for my web-viewing pleasure
(Mozilla has progressed quite a lot from a year ago.  Pretty good at
the moment, though it still seems unstable on certain systems.
Stability's pretty good on my machine right now, running 0.8).

At home, I am frequently running xmame (arcade emulator) for glide
(3dfx library), which requires X.  Also plenty lokigames.  Good
reasons to use X.  :)

I don't run any desktops - see no reason to;  I don't find myself ever
needing to click on icons; the term ems seem more than sufficient for
application launching.  I'd probably start using a desktop if a much,
much larger percentage of the programs I use supported drag-n'-drop in
a useful way.

Micah