Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

begin: Don Werve <donw@examen.com> quote
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > begin: Don Werve <donw@examen.com> quote
>
> > nobody learned C; it was pascal.  nobody used the internet; it was bbs's.
>
> Lots of people learned 'C'; such as myself.

you're 20.  i'm 31.  i've been on the 'net' since 14 years old.  you
were 3 years old.

when i say "nobody learned C", i mean, "nobody learned C".  believe me.
there were no compilers out for home systems.  we were still futzing around
with apple ]['s and timex sinclairs.

linux is what, 10 years old?  you were 10 when linux came out.  exactly how
many years of your life were lived without a C compiler available to you?
not many, if any.  that's why you say "lots of people learned C".  :-)

> I took one look at Pascal,
> and said, "I'm leaving BASIC for a reason."

basic rocks.

> an HP hardware engineer (who wrote drivers), and who donated a copy of
> Borland Turbo C 1.5 to my cause.  God was that slow on an XT...I
> remember it taking about five minutes to compile 200 or so lines of
> code.  Moved up to another XT (with an EGA...woo hoo!) that had an 8086
> (not an 8088).

how old were you when you owned this machine?

pete