Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: Don Werve <donw@examen.com> quote
> > "Crack" is the correct term (Furrfu!),
>
> heh.  that distiction is a relatively modern one.  back then everyone
> collectively went under the same term.  hacker.

True, but the spirit of the thing is what made you a hacker.  Today, all
the 1337 5kr1p7 k1dd13z are "hackers" because it gives them a feeling of
power -- hence the distinction.  Telco hacking and BBSes came from the
days when a hacker was someone with deep knowledge of a system or
language.

Despite my age, I was a pretty big BBSer, and started programming on a
Commodore VIC-20 (graduated to a Trash-80, and then to an XT clone...).

> > You don't crack for a reason -- you do it for the fun of it.  It's a
> > power thing.  Knowing that you can redbox someone's line just makes you
> > smile inside (until you go to jail).
>
> well, not quite.  remember, there was no linux back then.   computers were
> rare.  and NOBODY used the internet except the universities, the military and
> some forward thinking companies.

I miss those days (well, sans the no-linux part...I was a die-hard DOS
user until 6.22...). :)  When having an email address /meant/ something,
and when @aol.com was only a turgid nightmare in the minds of a few
admins...

> nobody learned C; it was pascal.  nobody used the internet; it was bbs's.

Lots of people learned 'C'; such as myself.  I took one look at Pascal,
and said, "I'm leaving BASIC for a reason."  Was initially schooled by
an HP hardware engineer (who wrote drivers), and who donated a copy of
Borland Turbo C 1.5 to my cause.  God was that slow on an XT...I
remember it taking about five minutes to compile 200 or so lines of
code.  Moved up to another XT (with an EGA...woo hoo!) that had an 8086
(not an 8088).  That made quite a difference (and to this day most of
the ASM instructions for the 8086 remain burned in my mind), then to a
286 running DOS and Windows 3.1 (which I mainly used for CorelDRAW and
Windows Write).

Sheesh...20, and I'm already nolstalgic for the days of the 286...

> it was all about learning.  except for a few choice bad people.  but show me
> a group of people that don't have a few bad apples among them.   right?

Bingo. :)  That's what life (and target practice) are all about.

:wq!

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Jr. Unix System Administrator

"Fear is the mind-killer." (Frank Herbert)