[vox] Fun with SDL and cruddy home-brew 3D :)

[vox] Fun with SDL and cruddy home-brew 3D :)

Last night I was sitting around watching my girlfriend play
Twisted Metal: Black (one of the best PlayStation 2 games so far),
and I couldn't take it any more!

I _had_ to sit down and replicate the spiffy, sparkly, fireworks-like
explosions from in the game! :)

See:

  http://www.psxextreme.com/screenshots/ps2_twisted_metal_bl/ps2_twisted_metal_bl_63.jpg

Anyway, I came up with a ~550-line C program that uses libSDL
(and SDL_image, since I'm using PNGs for the sprites) and some code
I cut-n-pasted out of a really old 3D vector-based game I wrote back
in college.

Here's a screenshot:

  http://www.sonic.net/~nbs/explosion.gif

It's not quite as fun, since it's a static screenshot, but you get the
jist.

Now... the question is... what do I do with this?

A few ideas I had included:

  * _Another_ "Missile Command" clone :)

  * A fireworks simulator or puzzle game (like "Fantavision" for PS2)

  * Just using it as effects in some faux-3D space game

If anyone wants the source, I can throw it somewhere.  Be warned that
it's not entirely commented, but, including the 7 small PNG files, it
takes up only about 20Kb gzipped :)