Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

begin: Don Werve <donw@examen.com> quote
> Brad Benedict wrote:
> >
> > > i served a prison sentence for computer hacking against at&t, sprint, bell
> > > south, nynex, allnet and a few other telcos.
> >
> > Just out of curiousity, why were you hacking them and how did you get
> > caught?  I don't know much about hacking, so I don't know why you'd want to
> > hack a telephone company.  :-\
>
> "Crack" is the correct term (Furrfu!),

heh.  that distiction is a relatively modern one.  back then everyone
collectively went under the same term.  hacker.

> and in the case of a telco, he
> was likely a cracker/phreaker -- I used to be, before I decided to throw
> my skills more towards the (more) legal end of the spectrum.  Thankfully
> I was a smart kid and didn't do anything *too* bad (hit systems owned by
> friends, nothing government/whatever), or I would likely have served
> time as well.
>
> You don't crack for a reason -- you do it for the fun of it.  It's a
> power thing.  Knowing that you can redbox someone's line just makes you
> smile inside (until you go to jail).

well, not quite.  remember, there was no linux back then.   computers were
rare.  and NOBODY used the internet except the universities, the military and
some forward thinking companies.

nobody learned C; it was pascal.  nobody used the internet; it was bbs's.

it was all about learning.  except for a few choice bad people.  but show me
a group of people that don't have a few bad apples among them.   right?

pete