Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE) (fwd)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Doug Barbieri wrote:
>
> *DINGDINGDING*
>
> Give this man a prize.  This is an excellent tip.

Thanks for the prize! LOL Whadda I get?! Seriously, glad to be of help.

> The only thing to beware of is that you have to forward the message as an
> attachment so they get the whole kit-and-caboodle.

That works the best. Outlook Express users have to literally
cut and paste into the Spamcop web page tool instead of forwarding. I
don't like using Outlook Express for that reason. Hotmail works the same
way. Microsoft has something against letting you see full headers easily.

> [pete eagerly awaits spam now; lol] I have a procmail recipe that is
> pretty accurate at stuffing spams into a separate mailbox for me, so I
> have lots of material to experiment with.

If you pay them a small fee (~$12 for a year) you can have their service
actually retrieve your mail and filter it for you. I imagine that they use
procmail, but I know for sure that they use fetchmail to poll for remote
mail then run their filters on the mail all automatically.

The nice thing is that you can retrieve your mail through spamcop's POP
server and it will filter out anything suspicious for you. You can check
your account later and choose to report the items which are suspect (or
let them pass the filtering and get moved into your mailbox for later
retrieval).

One caveat--if the spam is more than a couple of days old Spamcop doesn't
let you process it. They have their reasons, I suppose.

> [...]
> /Software/Embedded Controllers)               .OO#.       .OO#.  rocks...2k

R. Douglas Barbieri
doug@dooglio.net
http://www.dooglio.net

"There is no case...there never was! It's all just a joke, a big joke!"
--Former Inspector Wollenski