Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

Brad Benedict wrote:

> > i served a prison sentence for computer hacking against at&t, sprint, bell
> > south, nynex, allnet and a few other telcos.
>
> Just out of curiousity, why were you hacking them and how did you get
> caught?  I don't know much about hacking, so I don't know why you'd want to
> hack a telephone company.  :-\

"Crack" is the correct term (Furrfu!), and in the case of a telco, he
was likely a cracker/phreaker -- I used to be, before I decided to throw
my skills more towards the (more) legal end of the spectrum.  Thankfully
I was a smart kid and didn't do anything *too* bad (hit systems owned by
friends, nothing government/whatever), or I would likely have served
time as well.

You don't crack for a reason -- you do it for the fun of it.  It's a
power thing.  Knowing that you can redbox someone's line just makes you
smile inside (until you go to jail).

Glad I got that out of my system while I was young.  Still have fun on
my own machines (which is a great way to audit security), but other than
that...I like being a free man too much to ever give it up. :)

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Jr. Unix System Administrator

"Fear is the mind-killer." (Frank Herbert)