Re: [vox] 802.11b wireless

Actually, I suppose the correct interpretation would be that I'd be running
a net off of 1 IP, given the original statement.  So it would be in
violation of Greystone's AUP.

My actual intention, however, was:
1)  Establish if I can even get signal from my future location (apparently
unlikely).
2)  If I can establish even a 2Mbit link, ask Jen if she could ask Eric if a
business arrangement could be reached, where I'd pay Stonesfair or Eric sort
of a 'leased line' rate for a block of IPs to set up a permanent link.  This
would be until January, when DSL is supposedly coming online in Mace Ranch.

Now, since all of this was very pie in the sky to begin with and more the
rantings of a desparate man (I just had to apt-get a Debian install, which
took 20 mins on a 384K DSL connection.  I do not look forward to being
reduced to 56K), I doubt Jen would even hear from me until I knew for
certain I could pull off the link.  But, since the equipment's in the
neighborhood of $3K for the two outdoor routers, signal amps and antennae, I
doubt I'll be pleading my case anytime soon.

Right now my hopes are pinned on Sonic establishing service in September.
The tech didn't have any rates to quote at the time I called him, but I'm
assuming in order to be competitive it will be in a neighborhood of DSL (but
then again, considering the relative monopoly they'll have for 5 months or
so, they could ream the early adopters).  I just can't see paying the $500+
dollars to install IDSL though, since it'll be obsolete in 6 months when
A/SDSL comes online.

Now if our local Starbucks would just install that whole wireless thing
they're talking about...  Mmmm, wired wireless.

-- Geoffrey, who's right now dreaming of the day he has a wireless Linux
wearable connected directly to the internet via wireless connection.

begin  speck@blkmtn.org quotation: