Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

Re: [vox] [OT] junk mail (physical, not UCE)

begin: Brad Benedict <bradb@afes.com> quote

> > i respond to each and every single piece of spam, with absolutely no
> > exception.  and i'm relentless.  using nslookup, whois and traceroute, i
> send
> > complaints to loads and loads of people, including 2 or 3 sites upstream
> from
> > the place that sent the spam, dns servers, noc's, the offending host and
> > every host which obviously belongs to the same domain that gets listed
> with
> > traceroute.  it's kind of the "this car is insured by smith and wesson"
> type
> > of response.
>
> You wanna tell me how to do that?  I've tried it before, but I find that
> most IPs are spoofed, and I can't find where it actually came from.

nope.  in fact, most IP's are /NOT/ spoofed.

it's very difficult to maintain a tcp connection when one party doesn't know
where to send packets to.  the information is there.  you just need to parse
it.

never look at From or Return-Path headers; those usually are forged.  always
looked at Received: headers.  and when Received headers ARE forged, most of
the time you'll be able to tell which ones are bogus.

> It's a felony in Norway to send spam.

that's prolly way out of line...  you don't need to be convicted of a felony
to get jail time.

i wonder what joel will have to say about this.  probably one of the few
things we would ever agree upon...   :-)

> But then they let convicted murderers
> out on the weekends, if they ask.  pfft.  Anyway, if more countries made it
> a felony, I bet we would see a lot less.

i'd be willing to bet this is not quite right -- you can't let high risk
folks out of their cells.  there has to be more to the story to that.
perhaps people convicted of manslaughter?   i dunno.  there's got to be more
to the story here.

pete