Re: [vox] Weird httpd access log entries

On Sat, 21 July 2001, Nicole Carlson wrote:

> Eric, I'm shocked.  You've lasted two days without having heard of the
> Code Red worm?  :)  You know--the one poised to attack the White House?
> That's what you're seeing--Code Red probes.  Had you been running
> IIS, you'd have cause for concern.  As it is, go get yourself a beer and
> reflect on what a good thing it is you're running a Linux-based web
> server.

Sure I heard of code red. I even pointed out Bill Kendrick's article submission on slashdot to this list. I suppose I was so smug about only running linux servers (I was already drinking beer) that I did not even bother to read about the probe. I just checked my external web server at work and found the same probes. Well, time for another homebrew!

Eric Engelhard, Ph.D.
Bioinformatics Scientist
Sagres Discovery
(530) 297-4711