Re: [vox] No DSL, no cable -- options?

"Mark K. Kim" wrote:

> Hey gang.
>
> I just found out that the new place I'll be moving to doesn't have DSL or
> cable capabilities.  Can anyone think of an option?  I'm desperate! :(
>
> -Mark
>
> --
> Mark K. Kim
> http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
> PGP key available upon request.

See if ISDN is reasonably priced in your area; it's not as nice as DSL
(128K), but if you can get and ISDN line and service for $50 - $80 a
month...yes, the unit cost per kilobit of bandwidth isn't as nice, but
it has the benefit of actually being available. *grin*

And before y'all go off telling me that shotgunning two 56K modems would
be cheaper -- ISDN is /digital/, and as such doesn't have the same
crap-quality carrier of POTS lines.  So you really *do* get a 14K per
second, reliable connection (after losing the B-channel).

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Jr. Unix System Administrator

"Fear is the mind-killer." (Frank Herbert)