Re: [vox] Desirable job skills

My guess is that:

1. Oracle and Sybase to a much lesser extent still have more visibility
(marketing) than their free counterparts (when you have had a quarter of
a century or more to build an installed base, it shows).

2. In Oracles case, there is arguably not a single other db in its
class.  Informix and Sybase were once contenders, but now they struggle
to just stay afloat. All the free/open DBs are still in heavy catch up
mode...not to mention the ridiculous set of tools and ERP/CRM/EDI/TLA
based stuff around Oracle that really no-one else has, it should not be
asurprise they are at the top spot.

3. PostgreSQl is only in recent memory getting more attention. For a
while it had been languishing development-wise, and web-dev stuff (for
which the open/free db's are most often used) didn't need the extra
stuff PG offered (i.e. transactions) over the extrmely lightweight
MySQL.  My guess is in about a year to 2 years you'll see Oracle still
ahead with a huge margin, PG and Sybase fighting for a distant 2nd spot,
and evryone else (including everything from DB2 to MySQL fumbling about
the bottom).

Joseph Estevao Arruda	|	www.valinux.com
Corporate Alchemist	|	www.sourceforge.net
VA Linux Systems	|	www.linux.com