Re: [vox] Squished Monitor

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 pblickiss@ucdavis.edu wrote:
> Hey all,
>      Here's the problem, I have a KVM switch set up between my two windoze
> boxes and it seems to have caused a problem with my monitor.  I just got a
> second processor for one of my boxes and so I put Win 200 on to take
                                                        ^^^
Woohoo! Is that product Y2C compliant? (heh. sorry, could not resist.)
(We know that 'Roman Marcus Aurelius' wasn't, he died in 180 A.D.)

> advantage of that (Linux too so don't worry)  This morning, I logged into
> the box to finish installing some files when, randomly, the mode of my
> monitor changed to a squished down hourglass-type shape.  I figured this
> would be no problem and pulled up the on-screen menu, but none of the
> monitor functions did anything to change this.  I changed resolution as
> well, but nothing changed the overall shape of the monitor.  I turned off
> both boxes and unplugged the monitor.  Then I unplugged both boxes from
> the KVM switch and reset the switch.  Upon the restarting both boxes, the
> problem remains.  I'm stumped, anyone have any ideas?

We have had some monitors that seemed to work fine for a long time with
the monitor controls allowing us to modify the display and suddenly, it
stop allowing changes to be made to the display from the monitor controls
often immediately after the display was "hosed" and needed
adjustment.

Frequently, this suddenly happened because we are pushing the monitor to
display images at the edge of its capabilities, or appeared in cases where
the monitor is not able to note a scan-rate or mode selection is out of
its range of capabilities leading to hardware damage. (We have even had
one older monitor go black and start smoking - a clear violation of
California law on not smoking in public buildings, breeze-ways or within
30 feet of the entrance. ;-)

*Sometimes* if you leave the monitor at 640x480 resolution receiving input
from a system and running for a while with occasional "degauss" resets it
can help it repair the damage, but do not expect it. If it does not
repair itself, or you find the controls on the monitor do not allow you to
control the hourglass shape anymore, then you may need to return the
monitor and ask for a new one if under warantee.

Also, even if the monitor does manage to return to displaying what you
desire, damage may still exist in the unit with a greater risk of
reoccurrence. (Meaning, if it is still under warantee, take it back and get
it replaced even if it does manage to repair itself.)

About 1 in every 75 fairly new monitors I encounter have been like this,
but almost always as a result of bad voltage, bad signal, improper
conductor short or grounding in the video cable, etc. As a consolation, it
happens less often with newer monitors than it did with older ones. :-/

-ME