Re: [vox] Why Debian?

begin: John McDonnell <johnmc@johnmc.org> quote
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Eric wrote:
>
> > SuSE (mostly Europe),
>
> hey! watch it! I'm a European and I can't *stand* SuSE.

i think suse's line of demarcation is the english channel and along the coast
of france.  seems like people who don't like english-centrism like suse.
probably because more than half the man pages are in german.  lol!

> > I have been thinking of installing SuSE at home,
>
> ewww! Oh well, each to their own tastes. As a Red Hat user first and
> foremost (but with a leaning towards Debian for server stuff) I find
> SuSE's way of doing things awkward.

seriously, i really like suse, but i can definitely see and understand your
point.  it IS a bit awkward.  but then again, that's how i feel about rh too.

i would never willingly install anything but debian these days.

eric, if you ever come to a meeting, i'll tell you why i prefer debian over
everything else.  it has to do with my experiences at the installfests.  too
long to explain over email, but suffice to say that i've found debian to be
the most straight forward operating system to configure.  you're also more
likely to get more expert support from the debian community than any other
linux.

packages tend to be more bleeding edge if you don't mind taking them from
sid.  packages are definitely more stable if you don't mind taking them from
potato.

and forget rpm.  apt-get/dpkg is MUCH nicer.  MUCH more powerful.  MUCH more
easy.  and works MUCH better.  forget dependencies.  they're all taken care
for you in a sane and consistant manner.

debian is straight unix knowledge.  as opposed to admining operating systems
like redhat which seems to be straight GUI knowledge.  granted that some of
rh's admin tools rock, but heck, i barely ever run X as it is...

pete