[vox] Why Debian?

--- Jay Strauss <jjstrauss@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ok, I'm getting ready to install debian

(I've taken this over to vox for discussion. I even
managed to get in a Linux reference here and there
between mixing highballs...;)

I am not being partisan, I am merely curious as to
what your motivations are for installing Debian...
political, practical, social?

I tend to think of "mainstream" Linuxes as Red Hat and
Mandrake (mainly in the USA), SuSE (mostly Europe),
and maybe TurboLinux (in Asia). At my place of work,
only Red Hat is installed on production boxes (not
because of policy, it has just worked out that way),
and workstations are either Red Hat or Mandrake. I am
currently using Red Hat at work, because I know I can
get good support form my coworkers if necessary and it
is what I administer for customers. I swithc between
Red Hat and Mandrake, depending on what is around and
what the newest distro happens to be at the time. We
have like a 7-way mosix cluster going with some of our
workstations. We can render Divx movies and burn them
to CD-Rs while were busy doing other things... Anyway,
I have been thinking of installing SuSE at home, but
my impression of Debian is that it doesn't quite work
like it's supposed to (apt get) and they don't bundle
some useful (but non-free software) with their distro.
Please do not change your mind based on my comments...
being a Debian user is fine, I mean... if that's who
you are. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
(sorry, a little Seinfeld take-off...)
ERic