Re: [vox] banner - README.1ST

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 03:25:49PM -0700, Hesperant Ieger wrote:
> I wholy disagree Micah.
>
> We have a split list called vox-tech.  To cause more complication by
> attempting to re-design 2 more lists is problematic at best.
>
> Why should a group conform to an individuals needs.  If you have not
> already. Please check out vox-tech.  It is all that a bag of chips and a ton
> of linux only related conversations.

Heh.  I'm quite aware of vox-tech.  I was around when it was created.
But there are many things that are Linux-or-LUGOD-related that do not
belong on vox-tech at all, as Pete will back me up on.  These are the
only messages, frankly, that I'm interested in.  When Pete moved for
the lists-split, he did specify that vox would be for basically
anything that vox-tech and vox-announce were not; but I had
(incorrectly) assumed that it would still be pretty much LUGOD- and
linux- related, or I would've spoken up then.

What I want is a list where, for example, someone can observe, "Hey!
The latest version of Opera or Debian is out, and it has yada yada
features and is really cool", or where Bill can announce his latest
game (when I nag him sufficiently out of his humility to do so),
without having to deal with completely non-linux/LUGOD related posts.
The type of posts I described above are not technical enough for
vox-tech, but also have no place on vox-announce, which is
moderator-posted only and is meant for LUGOD events.

It's not that I have no interest in the controversial issues that are
raised here from time-to-time, but I generally already have formed my
views, am not really interested in proselytizing, and am not likely to
change my opinions based on what I see here.  If I'm interested in
seeing new perspectives, I'd generally sign up for a newsgroup or
mailinglist dedicated to discussions on that topic.

I read about 200 posts on comp.lang.c every day (minus a number of
obviously stupid or off-topic subject headers), about 10 on
c.l.c.moderated, the occaisional linux programming group when I'm in
the mood (which is high traffic, usually), a lot of work-related
email, mail from vox and voxtech, mail from the DocBook/SGML/DSSSL
mailing list, and mail from Firetop Mountain (a most excellent
email-based game of sorcery).  I simply don't have time to
additionally read extra mail that to me is pretty much as irritating
as spam.

I am subscribed to vox because:  I look to it as a source of
Linux-related information that I may not get elsewhere, even though I
regularly peruse Slashdot, HappyPenguin and LinuxGames; information on
local (well, not *so* local anymore) Linux-related events; and
general, good fun with friends who are captivated by the same
wonderful OS that has enchanted me.  I should be sorry to lose a good
portion of that because I've become frustrated with the
noise-to-signal ratio.

As to whether a group should conform to an individual's needs -
obviously, it shouldn't.  And if I am pretty much alone in these
thoughts, then obviously the best course of action would be for me to
unsubscribe from vox, and concentrate on vox-tech.  But I very much
suspect that I'm not alone in this sentiment.

Micah