Re: [vox] [Fwd: Open Games]

It is an interesting idea, but it's already being done on a text
level in
the MUD realm. Most MUDs require their coders to achieve certain
levels or to go through quests to get granted rights to code. Many
also encourage their coders to divide their time between coding and
playing so as to keep in touch with the game. Some also use some
sort of licensing similar to the GPL to release their code to the
general public. Now if you're talking a graphical MUD along the lines
of Everquest, I'm not personally aware of active open source projects
like that, but you may want to check the "Graphical MUDs" listing on
www.mudconnector.com to see if any of those are open source. That
is not something I have really looked into.

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com        telnet://mud.malevolence.com:3000