January 6: Social gathering

[vox] bandwidth

dear all,

i would like to remind everyone of an important rule of vox:

   vox has its heavy and light days.  if you find that vox is having
   a heavy bandwidth day, then you are URGED to think to yourself:

      "hmmm, do i REALLY want to post this?"

   if you feel a BURNING NEED to get your opinion out, then go for it.
   otherwise, please don't post.

this is called self-regulation.  i've stepped in, behind the scenes, a few
times when a thread got out of hand.  but honestly, i would prefer to not
censor peoples' postings.   if we can all act as responsible adults and not
hit the "r" key when you see 50 vox messages in your inbox, then the
bandwidth problem will disappear.

micah and don, please don't unsubscribe yet.  now that i've reminded everyone
of this important rule, let's see if vox can regulate itself.  if it can't,
i'll take further actions.

HOWEVER.  further discussion of bandwidth is not suited for mailing lists.
we're just perpetuating the problem.  i'm begging everyone to NOT REPLY TO
THIS EMAIL.  we're having an officer's meeting in a couple of hours and this
is definitely something that will be discussed.  once we get some headway on
the problem, we can discuss the problem further at the next meeting.

but the last thing i want is for 200 people to reply to this message about
bandwidth.

again:

   if you see that vox has been getting a lot of traffic, don't post any
   more messages to vox unless you're dying to get something off your
   chest.

   trim messages you're replying to.  leave the attributions in.

   don't reply to this message

   don't reply to any of the "readme banner" messages or whatever they're
   called.

we'll take care of this problem this month, i promise.  either self
regulation will do it, or we'll either split vox (my preference) or limit
discussion topics (very much not my preference).

peter